It’s the first day of October and you know what that means?
It’s officially spooky season!
Fun story: when I was pregnant with Daniel 18 years ago (!!!), I was hanging out with my best friend Stephanie and we were watching Joy Ride, do y’all remember that movie? It’s the one with Paul Walker, Leelee Sobieski and Steve Zahn, and they’re on this road trip and prank a truck driver over the CB radio who of course is a psychotic killer. My mom had known we rented the movie on VHS (God, I’m old) and she had told my brother Ryan about it. During a really intense scary scene, Ryan called me and eerily said “Caaaandyyyy Caaaane” over the phone. This was, of course, before caller ID was a thing and that was the same phrase that the psycho truck driver was saying over the CB radio.
The truth is, I just don’t like being afraid. As someone who suffers from high anxiety and who has an imagination that can run pretty wild, watching scary movies isn’t something I enjoy. Sierra, my 13 year old daughter, freaking loves them and I can’t even watch the commercials for them.
So, I thought with spooky season officially upon us, I thought I would share my favorite Halloween movies that are perfect to watch as a family (or for anyone who is a weenie like me!).
Best Halloween Movies to Stream For Scaredy Cats Like Me!
Now, I’m a big fan of streaming services and since they’re super popular, this year I wanted to focus on sharing my favorite Halloween movies to stream for you. These are all family friendly (meaning I would watch them with my kids), not scary, and totally Ashley approved. These are NOT movies you want to watch if you’re looking for thrills, jump scares, or things to give you nightmares.
Best Halloween Movies On Netflix:
- Goosebumps 1 & 2– A teenager teams up with the daughter of young adult horror author R. L. Stine after the writer’s imaginary demons are set free on the town of Madison, Delaware.
- Hubie Halloween – Written and starring Adam Sandler! Despite his devotion to his hometown of Salem (and its Halloween celebration), Hubie Dubois is a figure of mockery for kids and adults alike. But this year, something is going bump in the night, and it’s up to Hubie to save Halloween.
- My Babysitter’s a Vampire – As punishment for not babysitting his younger sister properly, 14-year-old Ethan’s parents hire a replacement to look over the both of them. But little do they know that a fledgling vampire from Ethan’s class has stepped up to the plate.
- The Addam’s Family – Con artists plan to fleece an eccentric family using an accomplice who claims to be their long-lost uncle. Based on the classic TV show!
- The Witches – This is a classic movie from my childhood! A young boy stumbles onto a witch convention and must stop them, even after he has been turned into a mouse.
Best Halloween Movies On Amazon Prime:
- Little Monsters (1989) – A boy discovers an incredible and gruesome world of monsters under his bed.
- Monster House – Three teens discover that their neighbor’s house is really a living, breathing, scary monster.
- The Addams Family (2019) – This one is a cartoon, but still sooo good! The eccentrically macabre family moves to a bland suburb where Wednesday Addams’ friendship with the daughter of a hostile and conformist local reality show host exacerbates conflict between the families.
- Vampire Dog – A boy unwittingly adopts a 600 year old talking vampire dog and soon discovers that when they face their fears they can do anything.
Best Halloween Movies On Hulu:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Flighty teenage girl Buffy Summers learns that she is her generation’s destined battler of vampires. Side note: Kristy Swanson’s dad was my substitute teacher once in high school!
- Fun Size – Wren’s Halloween plans go awry when she’s made to babysit her brother, who disappears into a sea of trick-or-treaters. With her best friend and two nerds at her side, she needs to find her brother before her mom finds out he’s missing.
- Practical Magic – Two witch sisters, raised by their eccentric aunts in a small town, face closed-minded prejudice and a curse which threatens to prevent them ever finding lasting love.
- Twilight – Bella Swan moves to Forks and encounters Edward Cullen, a gorgeous boy with a secret. Technically not a Halloween movie, but it’s got vampires and werewolves and therefore it’s okay for spooky season!
Best Halloween Movies on Disney Plus:
- Girl Vs Monster – A teen girl goes on a mission to recapture a dangerous monster that she accidentally released before it can do harm to her parents.
- Hocus Pocus – A curious youngster moves to Salem, where he struggles to fit in before awakening a trio of diabolical witches that were executed in the 17th century. This is my all time favorite Halloween movie!
- The Haunted Mansion – A realtor and his wife and children are summoned to a mansion, which they soon discover is haunted, and while they attempt to escape, he learns an important lesson about the family he has neglected.
- Twitches – Two teen witches who were separated at birth and were adopted by two different families meet on their 21st birthday and must use their powers to save the world in which they were born, where their birth mother still lives.
- Zombies – Students from Zombietown are transferred to a high school in a suburban town preoccupied with uniformity, traditions and pep rallies.
+ view comments . . .